PTE Academic Test assesses your skills in four different English skills:
The reading section has a variety of questions. If you prepare in the right way, it is the easiest section in your PTE exam.
Ten Tips for PTE Reading
- Read Often: Inculcate a regular reading habit. This will be particularly helpful in the Fill in the blanks module. Reading often gives exposure to different kinds of words, their usage, and word patterns that help to guess the correct word.
- Read Dictionary: The habit of reading a dictionary frequently could help you a lot in your PTE Exam. You can start by learning one new word every day and subsequently increase the number when you feel comfortable.
- Read short paragraphs on variable subjects: You can practice for the ‘Multiple choice questions’ by reading short paragraphs here and there, and then try and answer a few questions that might relate to the passage.
- Practice comprehensions: Another easier way is to practice comprehension passages from different books. Remember, this will need active reading skills since you need to answer the questions that follow.
- Scrutinize the incorrect answers: Go through your incorrect answers. You will see a pattern, identify it, and rectify it. For instance, in the ‘reorder paragraph’, if you can spend some time checking what went wrong with your answers, you will recognize a pattern that will eventually help you get the correct sequence.
- Use time management skills: Manage your time well. Fix a time limit you must spend on different tasks and work accordingly. Remember that clearing the PTE Exam is all about the right management of talent and time.
- Practice grammar: Remember, you cannot do it without working on your grammar, whether it is the reading or the writing module. Most of the time, it is the basics of grammar that you will need to work on but it will be essential for good results.
- Understand punctuation: From Vocabulary to grammar, it is finally the use of correct punctuation that will matter. Do not look confused… we know we are talking about PTE reading and not writing! But understanding the use of punctuation at the right places will make it easier to understand the meaning of a sentence too.
- Practice speed reading: Other than mindful and active reading, spend some time in speed reading to become a fast reader. It will be of great help in the long run.
- Use an elimination strategy: Finally, use the elimination strategy. This means, cross out all the answers that you are very sure are wrong. Then pay all your attention to the ones left to find the correct answer.
Follow these tips and you will be able to ace PTE Reading quickly and easily. Book a FREE Consultation with one of our experts if you have any queries regarding the PTE exam. You can also practice PTE Reading in on AI Portal AIWAS Plus.