How to answer this question type
For this item type, you need to describe an image.
In the recording box, a countdown will appear until the microphone opens. You will have to examine the image and prepare your response within 25 seconds. Then you will get an audio signal. After this, start speaking right away. You must remember to speak after the microphone opens. Otherwise, your voice will not be recorded.
Things you need to remember:
- Firstly, you should speak clearly and slowly
- Secondly, finish speaking before the progress bar reaches the end. The display will change from “Recording” to “Completed”.
- Lastly, you only have one chance to record your response
Warning: Remaining silent longer than 3 seconds stops the recording.
- Emphasize the main information in the image
- Sort out your description of the image
Describe Image – Scoring Mechanism:
The scoring depends on three factors:
- Content:Does your response include all the information thoroughly for describing the image?
Your description of relationships, potential developments, and inferences or consequences based on image details is also graded. The best responses address all aspects of the image, provide logical and specific information, and discuss potential outcomes, conclusions, or consequences. Simply mentioning a few unconnected concepts will lower your score.
- Oral fluency: Do you have a smooth, easy, and natural tempo of speech in your response?
Your oral fluency will be scored if your rhythm, phrasing, and emphasis are seamless. The finest replies are delivered at a steady and natural rhythm, with proper phrasing. Your score will be lowered if you hesitate, repeat, or make incorrect starts.
- Pronunciation: Does your response indicate your ability to produce speech sounds similar to most native speakers of the language?
Pronunciation is scored by assessing whether your speech is easily understood by the majority of native speakers. The top replies have native-like vowels and consonants, as well as appropriately stressed sentences and phrases. A native speaker of the language should be able to comprehend the responses right away.
PTE Academic acknowledges regional and national variations of English pronunciation to the extent that they are comprehensible to the majority of native English speakers.
- You will get partial credit in Describe Image. There is no score for no response or irrelevant responses.
- Listening, speaking, oral fluency and pronunciation are all scored differently depending on the inquiry type.
- This item type does not test your listening or writing abilities.
- Download the Score Guide for additional details.
- You can also practice this question type in our AI Portal-AIWAS Plus.